Friday, February 3, 2012

Breakfast at 1:30 pm

                          1st Lamb of season came at 11:00pm last night a 16 lbs. ewe lamb ! With that came a prolapsed uterus, the whole thing! So now I'm experienced in putting it back inside along w anus that popped out too just slightly! Phone call to vet I've used gave me a starting point and necessary steps but still GROSS. I'm not squemish but let's just be glad I was elbow deep in her and couldn't take pictures. I was curious to see what a uterus looks like, kind of like alien  suckers all over a giant red mass of tissue. Apparently the sack the lamb is in inutero attaches to these suckers to hold it inside. Bet you didnt need to know that! Anyhow she didnt prolapse last night , she was fine w slight bubble out at 3:30 am check so I assumed it would go back in after final cleaning of sack and fluids. Wrong! At 6:30am check whole darn thing was out when LN checked her. LN came inside where I slept on 2 seat  loveseat, comfortable? No flipping way! She said ewe had 2nd lamb but its all red and bumpy! Definently was not a lamb justa a typical day of work for yours truely.
      While I waited after putting it back to see if it would stay I cleaned 3 lambing stalls and 1 big ewe pen. Then opened all nanny pens and dismantled them giving everyone a community giant pen till I can put them outside if it gets warmer or sunny. Kids were jumping like kangaroos at all the space. I threw a few tubs upside down for them to climb on and they were good to go!
      Made it inside to shower blood and stuff off and ate toast for breakfast at 1:30pm.
                         
                                   So how was your Thurs night and Fri morning?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I hope your ewe makes it. Is a 16 pound lamb usual?? I didn't realize how much larger lambs were than goat kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She seems fine now , eating , drinking , allowing lamb to nurse but no its not normal. Twins are normal but she had giant ram lamb last year, must be her thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh prolapses are no fun, never had one come all the way out tho. Did have one that I confined to small area where she could not turn around and bedded space deep in the back to elevate her rear for a few days and she was fine but that was a minor episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She seems to be getting up and def letting lamb nurse but not eating or drinking alot so keeping penncylin shots up and praying. I put her in bigger pen so she and lamb could walk around and excercise if they want. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete