Thursday, February 9, 2012

S S D D

Same Stuff Different Day.
This afternoon the haltering , walking lessons with Ace continued. After 10 minutes of trying to pen him to be caught R gave up and took his Mama in pen hoping he'd go to her. Wrong the 1st time but eventually he wised up. LN worked with him but dang he's stubborn but she stayed right there.
He made a few steps then dug in his heels and dropped his head.
So funny to watch, LN will get there but Ace is going to claw and scream the whole way.

Even R with some grain and a pet didn't trigger a nice response.
 
To keep the frustration down LN goes to her kids for some loving and wrestling.
They love her now but will they after de-horning this weekend?
Necessary evil for us. LN does not like her hand being spiked or twisted against horn in the show ring.
We find if we burn them early they forget quickly.



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see someone else disbuds meat goats. We're going to get into Boers hopefully this year and the only way I'll get a hornless goat is if I either buy a orphan (as nobody wants to sell me a Boer around here it seems) that nobody wants and hope it's still early enough to disbud her, or to find someone who WILL sell me a doeling and I'll go over there and disbud her and they'll keep her until she's weaned.

    Who would have thought that it would be so difficult to get my hands on a Boer goat around here.....I seem to see them everywhere I look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't they sell Boers for market animals either? I know the standard is to leave horns on for breed but we raise crossbreds 7/8ths or some full. We breed for our kids showing market and in market horns are frowned on here. I dont put much stock in papers I just go with what I like. My kids show 4 species of market and breed would just be more work...

    ReplyDelete