Friday, March 13, 2015

Personal Hell ...

We buy our corn in bulk to resale. The truck comes and blows in in upstairs bins in the barn shown here behind the straw pile. When the bins stop gravity flow running they need cleaned out.
Bins are easily 8 ft tall , 4 ft wide.
I'm 5'1', S is 6' 1".
S built the bins (there are 4) before I arrived . About 25 yrs ago I believe.
Again I'm 5'1".
They need cleaned out because they are flat floored. I draw (always) the short straw. No pun intended, seriously none?
He wants to start under the eve of the barn. I have to figure how to stretch 4' across to opening and balance on 1/2" board nailed to sides of bin. Miss the rafters with my head and cobwebs, well you know.
It's freaking dark and creepy down here.
Don't the 1/2 " rails look comforting?
No they are not ! He built them couple ft off the bottom. Sides are slick so I use a bucket with a haystring attached. Climb in it and to steps and up pulling the bucket with me.
4 bins cleaned out.
20- 100# bags bagged out.
Shower time.









6 comments:

  1. Just. Be. Careful! And don't do this task without someone else around. Close enough to hear you if you call for help. Or close enough to check on you every fifteen minutes or so. Boy howdy, ya gotta be tough to be a hard-workin' farm woman, don'cha? Lots of admiration sent your way, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries MamaPea not dangerous just gross. We don't have augers everything just falls with gravity. S is below me bagging under the opening in the one picture. We re homemade not commercial so nothing electric or fancy.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That is one seriously scary job. You are brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do it by choice Kristina. It's assumed I'm shortest I won't mind . Still waiting on my growth spurt :)

      Delete
  3. I said it once before ( a long time ago ) , but it needs repeating...ewe is Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete