Monday, December 11, 2017

Day from H E L L except for afternoon visit...

Saturday Delaware had a snow/sleet/ice mess. We ended of with 5 in on ground with pavement clear except low areas of ice. 
I double checked weather reports for western PA. Nothing showing except cold temps.
Confidently I set out at 5:30 am Sunday to retrieve last bred ewe. All was well for first 4 hours of 6 hour trip. When I got to Breezewood I ran into snow squalls hit or miss for next hour. No biggie I turned off cruise and lowered speed. I was following I Phones GPS. So far I’d been on two lane divided highways. The last 2 hours I “visited” every small town in western PA , snow covered roads , slippery conditions, sketchy all around. At one point in a town I can’t name to protect the innocent I stopped at the top of a steep hill and asked a guy if it was safe to continue down? He said just go slow you’ll be fine but it turns at bottom. I slid standing on my brakes the whole way with my truck shuddering to the “turn”. It was a sharp switchback to the right. I slid to the guardrail straight ahead . Beyond the rail was sheer space down to 100’ bottom. I was shaking and cussing that guy the rest of the day. I managed to turn right and get to the bottom and finish my directions. 
After picking up the ewe I asked for better homeward directions. He gave me 3 turns to get to 80. I’m thinking this is a piece of cake. After turning on the phone gps at 80 I found out I was wrong. I nail bit all across pa on back roads till Harrisburg. I was tired ,hungry and my neck was hurting from tension.
I called LN and said here I come. I was close to her college so I made a pit stop. She brought 10 people out to ooo and ahhh over her ewe. Most had never saw livestock close up. I usd bathroom and walked out tension before continuing Home. 
I arrived at 8:30 to ice from snow thawing and freezing all day I was gone.
At least I got to see LN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment