Thursday, February 13, 2014

Advice welcome ...

LN's trial cakes were baked on Tuesday evening.
We knew the filling was complicated and would take several hours so we wrapped each layer and
was going to fill and glaze yesterday.
That didn't happen because LN had homework and reading due.
Today was a snow day after all so we started on filling this morning.
After making the filling and glaze she cut into her layers to even them out and the middle of 1 was raw even though we baked them and checked with the finger press and spring back it called for.
The other had a small spot as well.
They were baked side by side so seems to me that my oven has an issue.
LN wanted to toothpick them but I said follow recipe.
Should have listened to kid.
We started over and put filling and glaze aside.
The 2nd set came out better but still 1 had small raw spot so oven is issue there as we noted the same side of rack was used for one of the layers that was worse than the other.
 
 
 
1st issue-  It calls for sugar and water to cook over med-high heat then simmer for 20-30 min.
It says 20-30 or till it turns amber colored.
After 35 min no amber coloring.
????
Did she not have it turned up high enough for the simmer?
It didn't seem to affect filling at the end but still...
 
 
2nd issue- The cake is 2- 9 in layers that will be cut horizontally later to form 4 layers.
Her layers crowned high and curved so she had to slice the tops off to try to even them up.
Any way to avoid this?
Could batter be spooned into edges more before baking?
Is it because 1 t. baking powder is used?
Could that be adjusted?
Trimming still left a curvature to the tops which doesn't look good stacked because sides are not iced.

Any thoughts?
On a side note this cake is so tall I can't use the cake lid, the glaze touches it.
Maybe cutting the whole curve off would help this but that'd have narrow layers then???
 
The flavor seems fine.
I know because we made a small sample out of the scraps cut off.
 
Of course this all needs settled quickly.
We waited too late to start trial runs.
The entries are due Friday and no late entries are allowed.
LN says we go with this and modify as needed on contest day.
Anyone with any ideas I'm open to any and all suggestions.
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Oy! So many little problems with that cake. When I encounter a recipe like that (and I know I'm impatient), I toss it and start over. Because of your deadline I understand you don't have time to do that . . . and you've no doubt made your decision by now as to how to go. Sending good luck wishes to LN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would trash it but LN has her heart set on it so off we go.

      Delete
  2. I know this is way too late but I can help with making the cakes come out flat. I learned from a cake decorating class years ago to wrap the sides of the pans with pretty damp towels. That way the outer edges don't get done before the center and the cake will come out flatter. I used to cut a dish towel into strips and secure it around the pans with safety pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it works out.

      Delete