Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wet and Cold....

It's wet and cold , that must mean?
Chick time of course!
Everytime we order chicks and the post office calls at o'dark thirty it is cold and wet.
 
We ordered 25 rhode island reds, 25 barred rocks and 5 white leghorns.
The leghorns are sold along with 5 barred rocks.
The rest will get sold gradually as customers come in and see them.

 
A sure sign of spring, don't cha thunk ???
It's weaning time which was overdue for the lambs.
I separated them last Saturday.
It's been a loud week.
Coming up on time to choose who stays and who goes.
Someone has asked about buying 2 for younger 4-H'ers to learn to show.
LN needs to choose hers 1st and then depending on what she chooses Mama gets a pick at possible ewes to add to our tiny flock of breeders.
 
This weekend is Maryland Sheep and Wool and I'm going.
 
 
So excited, I hope the weather is dry at least.
I'm thinking of wooly things.


3 comments:

  1. We're in the same boat (although your "boat" is much bigger and fuller!) as far as starting chicks in wet, cold weather. (There must be a rule.)

    Hope you have a wonderful time at the Sheep and Wool Festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MamaPea. I always enjoy the sheep and wool festival. Getting there is always a nightmare with miles of backups but the end result is worth it.

      Delete
  2. Have fun at the festival :)))))
    Cute chicks!!!! I have some I'm trying to sell for $1. I will probably give them away soon. I have way tooooo many chickens :/

    ReplyDelete