Thursday, May 14, 2020

Keeping me sane???

I am not sure that is true after frost killed my plants twice!!!
The first frost all me.
I tried to rush my tomato plants and had to replant.
OK no problem I admit fault.
Second time though I covered the plants with pots and frost still killed my plants.
I thought maybe I didn't get out to remove the pots in time the next morning.
I worried I cooked them when sun heated up the black plastic pots.
But no the marigolds that were not covered were frozen also.

Third time is the charm right?

The short video of my garden will not load here , I've tried 3x.


See the wee lil jalapeƱo peppers forming?
Me and LN love poppers so this is anticipated.
People panicing over virus are buying up plants at my local greenhouses.
It took trips to three to locate 4 plants to replant my jalapeƱos.
The last greenhouse is not visible from the road so not heavily traveled and she only had 4 left.


The onions were spared and are growing well so far.
Yellow onions  and Candy Red onions which is new variety to me.



The dill was covered but survived also.
I was and am confused.
Around my house I have a few tomato plants and a pepper and some herbs.
{Ease of snacking and throwing in supper pot and not wanting to compost leftovers from 6 packs}
My garden and greenhouse are down in the field where we have a second well to use.
It is about 200-250 ft away from the house.
All plants around the house survived.


Shearing is still ongoing.
Tomorrow a high of 85* is expected.
Hopefully I can shear the remaining mature ewes.
I am sure they will appreciate it and I'll be glad to complete the task.


I am on my own as LN started her summer job this week.
I can easily do it myself as these ewes have been sheared enough times to know the routine.
I use a stand , my back thanks me.


Irises are popping.


I have variegated also but the picture isn't the greatest.


Vibrant red gerber daisy is a favorite.


I love Lantana as well .
The multicolors on one plant/bloom always seem so cheerful.


I wish I could ask my Mom-n-law who passed away on April 19th at 94 yrs old about this .
There are enough balls/skeins to crochet many more blocks .
The tablecloth would have been huge if she used all of them.
I'm just not sure this was hers??
Although she crocheted I never saw her do more than baby afghans.
I wonder.....
As I go through her belongings there are so many questions left unanswered.


2 comments:

  1. How frustrating to lose so many plants to the frost. Twice! I guess we've all been through it at one time or another though. It's still tough to take.

    What a multi-talented woman you are to do your own shearing. That's gotta be a hot, hard job.

    I know what you mean by saying "so many questions left unanswered" by our relatives that have passed on. I found a crocheted tablecloth (finished) much like the one you found in your MIL's things when we cleared out my mom's possessions. She was a talented crocheter but I think if she had done the tablecloth I would have been aware of it. It was probably done by someone in a generation before her, but who?? We'll never know some things, will we?

    Great to see a post from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MamaPea it has been a struggle to post. If I have learned anything from being part of Blogger it's to rethink a few times before posting. So much negativity and bashing going on. I have been keeping to myself when I am down or tempted to be too honest with people. Gardening, family and sheep care are safe postings for me. Hope all is well in the tundra. I think of you each time I get down about my gardening. At least I have the option to plant at this point even if Mother Nature decides to frost me out suddenly.

      Delete