Monday, September 17, 2018

Been awhile

since I made apple sauce and or apple butter.
I was asked to make small jars to give as hostess gifts at a friend's wedding shower.
Since today was rainy and because shower is in 2 weeks 
I figured I'd get started at least ;]`


The local orchard had seconds in bins.
It cost $12.00 per brown grocery bag and you pick and fill it.
I filled 1 3/4 bags with Golden Delicious.


1/4 bag with Crimson Crisp and Red Delicious.
I will use Yellows first and see how far the first bag goes.


Just chunked them up and cut off any brown spots and cores.
Cooked them about 20 minutes till they softened.


Ran through the squeezo machine to remove skins and any seeds I missed.



General chaos as always .
Sticky too...


Dumped into 2 crockpots and set on low with lids askew.
Supposedly after 10 hours or so I'll have apple butter.
We shall see tomorrow.
A lot of recipes call for sugars and spices added.
I have never added sugar to my regular applesauce so I am going to wait and see how sweet it is.
I'll probably add spices ie: cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. after it cooks down.
If all else fails I'll be canning teeny jars of applesauce as gifts.




4 comments:

  1. Yum and what a nice person you are! I am hoping to get a nice selection at one of the local orchards in a week or so. If not then when we go to the Apple Festival over the mountain I am sure a few of the orchards will have just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using seconds for applesauce. The cost is better ;] and most of the time handpicking them I have less waste than expected.

      Delete
  2. I've never cared much for apple butter (maybe haven't had any made by you!) but we do love our applesauce! Have some left from the batch daughter and I made last February but will still make more probably. What a nice gesture for you to do for the wedding shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The couple getting wed are great friends so it's a labor of love so to speak. I'm not the keenest on apple butter because most is too sweet. I saw recipes that used 4 c of sugar to a crockpot full. My teeth would fall out with that much.

      Delete